Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Meiford to Welshpool on Glyndŵr's Way: Day 9

My last day on Glyndŵr's Way but no respite from the hills, with short but steep climbs.

Today was much like previous days on Glyndŵr's Way: large green fields, hills, a bit of woodland, some quiet roads, some farm tracks, some crossing fields of sheep and grass, some paths through woodland. There was a tumbledown, abandoned farmhouse, a holiday "village" of green trailer homes similar to others on my trip, and a section with a lot of pheasants which squawked noisily as they took to the air, flapping manically as I walked by. I have always thought of them as rather stupid birds.

Another typical view on Glyndŵr's Way, green field, sheep and trees.

The final hill, beyond a golf course shared with sheep, gave a splendid view. The Welsh hills to the west and to the east, Long Mountain and beyond the plains of England. 

View from my last hill of the trip with Long Mountain in the distance. 

Welshpool, my final Mid Wales town.

I hurried on into Welshpool, not wanting to miss my train, but arrived in time for a coffee and sandwich for lunch. Another Mid Wales town with a clock tower, this time on the Town hall. My final stop before the railway station was an engraved stone pillar on a patch of grass by the Montgomery canal, which marks the end of Glyndŵr's Way and the end of my walk.

Stone memorial marking the finish of the Glyndŵr's Way and the end of  my walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glyndŵr's Way: Comments on this Long Distance Walk through Mid Wales

Glyndŵr's Way is a 217 kilometre, 135 mile walk through Mid Wales, which I completed in 9 days. The start and finish are close the Offa...