Monday, November 23, 2020

Lake Vrynwy to Meifod on Glyndŵr's Way: Day 8

Mist on the lake and riverside walks made my penultimate day a bit special. 

After ordering a "Californian Breakfast" at the Lake Vrynwy hotel, I admired the view from the window of the restaurant. Ethereal clouds of mist were gently drifting across the lake, whose still surface reflected the sky and trees opposite. A Californian breakfast turned out to be small slices of avocado, tomato and bacon stacked in a small piece of bread roll and topped with a poached egg. There were two of these structures to accompany my toast, coffee, orange juice, fruit salad etc..

Morning mist on Lake Vrynwy. 

Taking the quick route back to the lake on a mud slide of a bridle path, I returned to the dam. The RSPB visitor centre was closed due to Covid but someone was still leaving food out for blue tits to feed on while a peacock looked on. 

Today, as usual, I climbed up and down hills (with a long flight of stairs at one point) and crossed green fields of sheep (including a flock of black sheep with white faces), but unique for this section were long riverside walks in sylvan glens. The river, the Afon Efyrnwy, raced down the valley, the water either black or foaming white as it dropped over rocks. In places the path clung to a steep slope above the water, but most of the time the hike was quite "tame". There was also a dark path through a coniferous tree plantation which I rather liked.

Walk beside the Afon Efrnwy.

Tree on the November skyline.

The farms on the Glyndŵr's Way tend to have large barns, surrounded by muddy yards, dirty cows, wandering hens and barking dogs. Wisely, the path usually diverts around them, although the route can be complex and difficult to spot. I wandered around one today, where they were in the process of digging a large hole. Looking in the wrong places I missed the Glyndŵr's Way markers and took the wrong route, fortunately I was not noticed.

There are many chapels of nonconformists strands of Christianity dating from the 19th century such as the one above. Most are no longer in use for religious services.

As sunset approached the clouds made attractive patterns in the sky, so entranced was I that I missed a turn and had to retrace my steps a few hundred yards. I am now at a Bed & Breakfast a few kilometres outside the village of Meifod. Picking up some food for diner at the shop, the owner, seeing my rucksack, commented that tomorrow would be my last day on Glyndŵr's Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glyndŵr's Way: Comments on this Long Distance Walk through Mid Wales

Glyndŵr's Way is a 217 kilometre, 135 mile walk through Mid Wales, which I completed in 9 days. The start and finish are close the Offa...